Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday Stamps: The letter "M"

 Hello and welcome to my postcard blog.  My quilt blog is at Viridian's blog.

The theme for this week set by our hostess is the letter M.  She showed a stamp from Monaco and I will do the same:


A stamp from Monaco, honoring the 100th anniversary of the dogma of the Immaculate conception of Mary, mother of Jesus. (So I thought.)  From Wikipedia: "The Immaculate Conception was solemnly defined as a dogma by Pope Pius IX in his constitution Ineffabilis Deus on 8 December 1854. The Catholic Church teaches that the dogma is supported by Scripture (e.g., Mary's being greeted by the Angel Gabriel as "full of grace") as well as either directly or indirectly by the writings of Church Fathers such as Irenaeus of Lyons and Ambrose of Milan.  Catholic theology maintains that since Jesus became incarnate of the Virgin Mary, it was fitting that she be completely free of sin for expressing her fiat."

Though actually 1858 is the year of the appearance of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes, as I found out from the commenters the first time I shared this stamp.

Visit SeeitonaPostcard for more participants.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

3 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I had never seen that stamp. The Immaculate Conception Day (8 December) is still a holiday in Spain.

violet s said...

The diamond shape suits this design.

Joy said...

I agree with Violet, I like Monaco's love of diamond stamps. Dogma is such an interesting word.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails