Sunday, August 29, 2021

Sunday Stamps: Endangered Species

 Hello and welcome to my entry for Sunday Stamps.  I did not participate last week as I only had a stamp of a spider, which our hostess does not like.

Anyway, onto endangered species.  I have shared this stamp before but it is very appropriate for today.

As I wrote a few years ago:

This is a pretty bird with a sad story behind it. This is the Azores bullfinch.  Its species name is Pyrrhula murina, and it is endemic (meaning it is found only there) to the islands of the Azores, a small archipelago of islands in the North Atlantic that belong to Portugal.

Not only that, it is endemic to one island only, São Miguel  Island.  

Not only that, it is found only in the forests of the mountains in the eastern part of the island.

It likes the native laurel forests, and it is threatened by deforestation and the growth of non-native species.

In 2003, it was estimated that there were only 400 individuals left.  However in 2008 it was estimated that there were 775 individuals left, so there is some hope.  

Visit Seeitonapostcard to see who else is playing!

Viridian

3 comments:

violet s said...

Aww, thank you for sparing me ;)
I actually haven't seen any stamps with spiders - so lucky you to have something I would consider rare.
As for this little lovely, what an interesting story. Compared to birds that fly half way around the world, this one is quite the homebody.

Mail Adventures said...

When I went to the Azores (2012), I had the chance of a guided visit by a naturalist working (among other matters) on the priolo rescue. He was optimist.

Joy said...

Beautifully colored bird, I'm glad there is some hope. Hurray for those who work to bring that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails