Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sunday Stamps: Day of the Dead

 Good Day, and welcome to my contribution to Sunday Stamps.  I am sharing a newish stamp released by the US Postal Service, celebrating the Day of the Dead:

This is one stamp in a pane of 4 stamps. described by the USPS HERE.  This is a sugar skull, surrounded by marigolds.  Pre-Columbian beliefs interacted with the Catholicism brought by early missionaries to create this tradition. According to the USPS, the modern version of the holiday grew out of the activism of the 1970's.
I still find these skulls a bit creepy.

Visit SeeitonaPostcard for more participants.

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

3 comments:

violet s said...

I find all skulls a bit creepy! The marigolds are an interesting touch.
I like the bright colours.

Joy said...

The marigolds help guide the dead to visit the living. Sleep easy:)

Mail Adventures said...

The tradition of "Día de los Muertos" is alien to me (as well as Halloween). But I like the aesthetics around. I have got these stamps on postcards, and they look pretty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails