Friday, September 30, 2011

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!


Portrait of a Lady, about 1520 to 1525, by Bernadino Luini.
Painting is in the National Gallery of Art, Washington DC.

When I was a teen visiting museums, I would have liked to purchase a book of reproductions, or maybe a poster.  However on a tight allowance, all I could really afford were postcards.  That was the start of my postcard collection.
This is not one from those early days, but similar to those I might have picked up back then.  It gave me the chance to study some great art.

I am linking with Beth for Postcard Friendship Friday.
Viridian

Remember Sunday stamps!  We are visiting Europe this week and next.  Linking opens up Saturday night USA time.

8 comments:

MrCachet said...

I wonder if this portrait was commissioned. As finely dressed as the lady is, I can't imagine a starving artist being able to afford such finery.

Snap said...

Portrait of a Lady, about 1520 to 1525, by Bernadino Luini is one of my favorite paintings at the National Gallery of Art. She is so beautiful. Her hands are great, too ... not to mention her furry little friend! She has one of those come hither smiles! :D :D Happy PFF!

Maria said...

I can't exactly discern what is she holding on her right hand...

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I do like the expression on her face! I didn't "find" art until I lived in Paris for a while and my eyes were opened. I regret not having started earlier.

Sreisaat said...

She's a beautiful lady indeed! I wonder what she was thinking while sat there posing for the artist.


Postcards Crossing

Heather said...

I used to purchase postcards when I was a youngerster as well. At some point during university I decided to use them and mailed them all out. Double the fun for me.

Heather said...

oops, forgot to invite you to come visit and leave a comment to be entered into my contest.

http://sendapostcardaweek.blogspot.com/2011/09/where-to-send-this-card.html

Grace Bailhache said...

Hello dear,

Thanks to the PFF meme, I'm so happy to discover differents post and thema. This is my first painting card and I like it. Curiously I thought about Rembrandt when I first so it before reading the name and OOPS discover an italian.

Well I love art but never study it and I'm not so good at it as you see. LOL

Hope you'll come by mine too and travel to France for the occasion.

Grace

http://blog.my-telepropartner.com/2011/10/05/montmartre-postcard-friendship/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails