Saturday, November 15, 2014

Sunday Stamps # 196

It continues cold in the American Midwest. And maybe a hint of snow in the air!

It's Saturday night, so time for Sunday Stamps.  Our theme this week is anything you wish.

I'll start with  stamps that arrived recently on a Postcrossing postcard:


These are from the Netherlands.  My correspondent, Maud, tells me, "The stamps show bonnets from different areas in my country, still worn by elderly and or people living in "The Bible Belt"."  It's funny to me in the USA thinking of the Netherlands having a Bible Belt, and where that might be. And strange to think that in some years from now they may not be worn at all - how sad.

Please join me this week in sharing anything you wish -- maybe a recent arrival in your mailbox?

Viridian

Theme next week: Furniture (sort of by suggestion)
Theme week after that: birds ( a perennial theme)


5 comments:

Postcardy said...

That's a good way of showing off the bonnets.

VioletSky said...

With all the Dutch postcards I've been getting recently, I haven't seen these stamps. Hope some come soon!

Joy said...

I didn't know they were even still worn! The one on the left is what I always associate with the Dutch costume so interesting to see that they alter with area.

Heleen said...

They have been issued as stamp sheets. The reason why they aren't sent to countries outside the Netherlands, is the fact that these are for national use, which is € 0.64 now, while international stamps cost € 1.05.
There have been issued some more on 'streekdrachten' ('local/regional costumes'). The complete stamp sheets I think beautiful, too, and you can find them by clicking on the phrase (heads/links) above each of the stamps on
www.postzegelblog.nl/tag/mooi-nederland-streekdrachten/

Unknown said...

THis stamp is from the 2014 "Sochi" Winter Olympics in Russia. I was very excited to receive this on a postcard.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jgeronimo_photography/12915205585/in/set-72157641670400415

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails