Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sunday Stamps # 75

Our theme this week is food and drink of all sorts.  I would add this can be fruit on the vine, or in a delicate dessert.  I actually had some difficulty in finding a suitable stamp on my recent Postcrossing postcards, but I did eventually find one.

This is the gooseberry or Grossularia, on a stamp from Belarus.  We do not know gooseberries and do not use them in the USA, or at least very rarely.  I do remember seeing them for sale, fresh, and as preserves, when I visited Poland.

According to Wikipedia: "Gooseberries are often used as an ingredient in desserts, such as pies, fools and crumbles. They are also used to flavour beverages such as sodas, flavoured waters, or milk, and can be made into fruit wines and teas. Gooseberries can be preserved in the form of jams, dried fruit, or as the primary or a secondary ingredient in pickling, or stored in sugar syrup."

You know, I don't think I've ever tasted them.  I'll have to try, the next time I am in Europe.

Join me in a bite of food, or a treat, or lift a glass.

Theme next week:  Anything you wish.  I will be on vacation June 15 - 26 and will have only intermittent internet access so I will check in as I can.

Viridian


6 comments:

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

I just wanted to greet you a Happy Father's Day!-Willa @ Postage Journal

Ana said...

Im not very familiar with gooseberries either, though Ive always found their name really funny :)
I haven't tried them either...I think...with all those berries it is sometimes difficult to distinguish them all :)

Maria said...

We don't have gooseberries here in the Philippines either.

It was my goal to have a checklist for what berry I've already tried eating, so far I can only put a check besides: strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry.

Joy said...

My uncle used to grow desert goosberries, my favourite use was goosberry and apple jam. Hope you are enjoying the start of your vacation.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

We always used to grow gooseberries. We made pies and jams from them. Beware - only some are sweet enough to eat straight from the plant. :)

dakotaboo said...

Gooseberries are great in a crumble, with some custard.

My food themed post is now up.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails