Friday, May 27, 2011

Postcard Friendship Friday May 27

I have a small set of unused chrome postcards of Florida places, which I'll share over the next few weeks.



This style of printing is more prevalent in the 60's and 70's in the USA - I am not sure about the rest of the world.  I like linen postcards much better but these kinds of card have their own tacky charm, and are certainly part of the vernacular American culture.

This postcard pictures the Comfort Inn Motel in St. Peterburg Florida, which  features "color TV, pool, phones available, major credit cards accepted."  Also on the back: "On US Hwy 19 (34th Street) a mile north of Skyway Bridge which crosses Tampa Bay at its entrance to the Gulf of Mexico, 5 minutes from the Gulf Beaches and adjacent to shopping center."  Printed by the Tom Brown Card Co., Clearwater, FLA.

Classic roadside motel architecture, with chain link fence - how attractive!  At least there is a fence to stop toddlers from drowning.  I know someone recently showed one of these old postcards and the pool did not have a fence around it - you could drive your car right into the pool.

I am linking in with Beth at Postcard Friendship Friday.

Viridian

Remember Sunday Stamps this week!  Theme: people honored by a stamp for any reason (historical, politician, writer, artist, educator, Nobel prize winner, anything), and you are happy that they are featured on this stamp. Tell us about this person.


12 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

There's very little to tell one of these places from another really. At least this one does have a fence. We don't have motels like this where I live but I do actually like this type of card because it recalls an era.

Beth Niquette said...

I love the linen postcard look, too. I have quite a few of those type in my collection. This one is really interesting!

Happy PFF!

Aimee said...

This "tacky charm" reminds me of our family vacations when I was a kid! :)

We just stayed at a comfort inn last week on vacation...happy to report it no longer looks like that!

LiT Web Studio said...

motels are a popular sub-genre in deltiolgy apparently...i rather like this card...it just screams 1960s!

Joy said...

Wonder if that balcony could be used for diving:-)

Snap said...

I love tacky!!!!!!!!! Happy PFF!

MuseSwings said...

Now you're talkin'! That motel is (was) just down the road apiece. 5 minutes from beaches? The Pinellas County peninsula must have been a lot skinnier back in the day. It's at least a 20 minute drive (which makes a big difference to folks in a non-air conditioned car who are covered with salt and sand from a day on the beach. - unless the bridge is up - then it's a 120 minute drive. Lovely card!

Sreisaat said...

I do not have any linen postcards in my collection yet and am so curious about it. That a lovely 60s era card.

Postcards Crossing

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

We stayed in the Comfort Inn for quite plenty of times during overnight stop over in one of our road trip vacation and I didn't know they've been in the business that long.

Thanks for visiting my Postcard Friendship Friday entry. :)

Heather said...

We staying in places like this when I was young. They were cheap and that meant my parents could get two rooms, one for the kids and one for them at the other side of the building.

MrCachet said...

Cheap motels! What a deal. I remember the card you refer to w/o a fence around the pool. Definitely earlier than this one.

Lyneen said...

These are great cards... Love the cards from that era. A lot of small town still have these motels. They just don't look as nice these days! Great post. Thanks for sharing... Happy PFF!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails