Saturday, April 26, 2014

Sunday Stamps # 168

Hello hello and welcome again to Sunday Stamps.



It's a beautiful warm Spring evening here in the great American mid-west.
Our theme is of children and for children.  My first stamp to share is this one from Greece:


I can tell this is a Unicef stamp but not much more than that.  This stamps moves me because my daughter, when little, had short brown hair like this.  Even a sleeveless little dress and boots like this.  I never liked to see her sad.

The next stamps are from Indonesia.


These feature the SOS Children's Villages. Through Google I find they are a group advocating for children's rights.

We help families care for their children. We provide quality alternative care for children who cannot live with their biological families.

We strengthen families
SOS Family Strengthening Programmes help keep children in the care of their family.  We support disadvantaged families at risk of separation by bolstering their capacity to protect and care for their children. Strengthening safety nets within the community is key.  We run over 2,300 programmes that cater to more than one million children and adults around the world.
We have an individual plan for every child in our care
Children, who cannot be cared for by their biological families are supported by family-based carers either with foster families or within our SOS Children’s Villages. SOS families provide individualised care to promote the development, education and health of each child. In partnership with communities we develop local infrastructure and run kindergartens, day care centres, schools, vocational training centres and medical facilities. We provide over 80,000 children and youth with family-based care.
I was unaware of this organization until now.  More information is available at the Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS_Children%27s_Villages.  How wonderful they have a stamp to promote this organization.

Viridian

Theme next week: Stamps from Russia or former communist countries. Does not have to be old stamps issued by those communist governments - can be from recent years.
Theme Week after that: Flowers for Spring.


7 comments:

Postcardy said...

Your children's stamps are very attractive.

luvlinens said...

Nice stamps, I better get looking. I forgot about SStamps coming around so fast.

agi said...

i am happy to say we have SOS children village in croatia and we also issued some stamps in relation in the past...its a great way to raise people's awareness

Joy said...

I like the contrast between the sad UNESCO Children's Rights stamp and the happiness of the SOS villages ones. I don't think I've seen UNESCO stamps before.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Beautiful stamps! I was lucky enough to receive a postcard advent calendar last year that was in aid of SOS Children's Villages. It came from Germany.

Bob Scotney said...

I don't know of Children's Villages in the UK; a wiki link says a village in Scotland was refused planning permission.
The Greek stamp has an element of pathos about it.

Mail Adventures said...

I'm commenting late 'cause I was on holidays. I love the Greek stamp, it's really original!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails