Saturday, April 14, 2012

Sepia Saturday 121: Flight

It's Sepia Saturday!
I am posting today one of the most famous flight photographs of all. Maybe another participant did too - but I admit I did not check.


This digital copy is from the US Coast Guard web site.  The US Coast Guard did play a role in that famous flight of December 17, 1903.
From their web page:

 "The most famous aviation photograph ever taken.  The Wright biplane, piloted by Orville Wright, has just taken off from a monorail launching strip on a field at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina on 17 December 1903.   Wilbur Wright, running along the right side of the aircraft, held onto the wing to balance the machine until it left the monorail.  This is the only photograph of the world's first flight in a power driven heavier than air machine, which was invented by Wilbur and Orville Wright.  This picture was taken for the Wright Brothers, and posterity, by Surfman J. T. Daniels, a member of the crew of the Kill Devil Hills Lifesaving Station.  He and the other members of the crew assisted the brothers......  More importantly, they acted as eyewitnesses to the flight."

Be sure to check out the next Sunday Stamps post, up shortly.  The theme is poets and poetry.

Viridian

11 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I haven't seen anyone else with this picture today. In fact, I've never seen it before at all. It'a a piece of history I should know better though I do know Wright brothers.

Little Nell said...

Well, I’m glad somebody posted about this! Great photo of these pioneers.

Kristin said...

Very fitting photo.

Christine H. said...

I'm glad you posted this, as I don't think anyone else did.

Alan Burnett said...

No, you are definitely the first with this image. A great find and so well presented.

North County Film Club said...

I've seen the photo but not that whole description of the flight. Was surfman his name or what?
Nancy

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Way cool! Thanks for finding it for us. I enjoyed hearing the details too.

Kathy M.

21 Wits said...

You are the first to post it for this theme, nicely done too! It is a great photo!

Tattered and Lost said...

That plane is hanging from the ceiling at the Air and Space Museum. It's quite a sight.

Bob Scotney said...

How did we all miss this. I'm glad you didn't.

Linda@VS said...

Kudos to you for thinking of this photograph. It's perfect for the theme.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails