Sunday, November 22, 2020

Sunday Stamps: Under the Sea

 Hello and welcome to my contribution to Sunday Stamps.

The theme this week is "Under the Sea", but I'll interpret that my own way:  A view of the planet and its oceans:


From the US Postal Service:

This stamp features a rendering of Earth composed of images created from satellite data and redesigned with 3D computer technology. The view of our planet shows the Atlantic Ocean flanked by the Americas, Africa, and part of northern Europe. In the stamp art, the globe is isolated on a white background. The shape of the stamp is round. The text, which surrounds the image of Earth, includes the words “Global Forever.”

Artist Leonello Calvetti used a variety of maps, primarily from NASA, to create his design. With 3D computer technology he was able to modify depth, vary color, and create subtle light and shadow details on terrain surfaces to achieve a high level of photorealism while also attaining something new. “I always have been fascinated by space and what astronauts could see from out there,” Calvetti says. “As an artist, an illustrator, I wanted to make my own representation of the Earth.” "

Visit SeeitonaPostcard for more entries!

I have a page on Facebook: keep up with my infrequent quilt and stamp posts at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Viridian61/347674418583948?ref=hl

Viridian

3 comments:

violet s said...

I've always loved the deep blue of the ocean on the Earth view.

Mail Adventures said...

This is a fascinating stamp. I've got it several times, but I'm not tired of it.

Bob Scotney said...

It's easy to see why we call the earth the blue planet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails